Aggressive Hydraulics Custom Telescopic Hydraulic Cylinders
Telescopic hydraulic cylinders utilize multiple nested stages, achieving a long working stroke in compact/retracted form. Aggressive Hydraulics designs and engineers application-specific telescopic cylinders, purpose-built to withstand your application demands. Our experienced engineering team helps you work through design considerations to ensure your cylinder meets your requirements.
Common Types of Telescopic Cylinders
- Single-acting telescopic cylinders
- Double-acting telescopic cylinders
- Combination of single- and double-acting telescopic cylinders
Telescopic Cylinder Applications
Common mobile hydraulic applications for telescopic cylinders include:
- Garbage trucks
- Dump trucks
- Agricultural equipment
- Construction equipment
- Transfer trailers
- Single and Double Acting Telescopic Hydraulic Cylinder Types
- Common hydraulic pressures up to 2,000 psi, special applications optional up to 3,000 psi
- Max bore size available up to 15″
- Min stage size available down to 3/4″
- Common stroke lengths up to 500″
- Number of stages common up to 5
- Single-acting cylinders use hydraulic pressure to extend, and retract due to load from gravity or some other external force.
- Hydraulic flow and pressure extends the cylinder
- Gravity or some other external force will retract the cylinder
- Holds position
- Long stroke in a compact closed length
- Larger outer diameter than rod cylinders
- Less complex design than double acting
- Double-acting cylinders use hydraulic force for both extension and retraction.
- Hydraulic power retracts cylinder as opposed to gravity/force
- Retract force is able to pull load
- Conventional telescopic cylinders
- Both ports located on rod end
- Piston seals are typically cast iron rings
- Cylinder is not designed to hold load in exact positions (drifting)
- Minimum flow required to prevent stalling
- Special features can be designed into telescopic cylinders
- Both ports on the barrel design avoids moving hoses and wear patterns
- Positive piston seals allow cylinder to hold the load and eliminate the minimum flow requirement
- Less dead lengths per stage than a conventional double acting telescopic
Partially double-acting cylinders are typically used in over-center applications. These cylinders will provide retract force for a portion of the stroke, and gravity completes the retract cycle.
- Plunger rod can be double acting and sleeves single-acting.
- Largest sleeve can be double acting and balance of sleeves and plunger rod single-acting.
- Skip-a-sleeve option, which is a sleeve or stage is skipped during design, thus increasing effective area and retract force.
We can handle all of your mounting requirements. Contact us for any special mounting requests.
- Clevis – Threaded
- Cross Tube
- Drill Thru Base Mount
- Drill Thru Rod End
- Foot (Heavy-Duty)
- Foot (Light-Duty)
- Spherical Base End
- Spherical Rod End
- Threaded Base End (Female)
- Threaded Base End (Male)
- Threaded Rod End (Female)
- Threaded Rod End (Male)